Solidifiers are a super absorbent polymer powder that can turn liquid medical waste into a gel-like substance. Smart Health India™ Solidifiers:
- Can be used with all forms and sizes of suction canisters, so there is no need to convert any canister equipment
- Can be added to the suction canister prior to the start of a procedure, maintaining the integrity of a closed suction system by eliminating the need to remove the canister lid
- Do not increase the volume of suction canister contents, allowing for accurate reading and measurement once the procedure is complete
- Continue to solidify for up to 48 hours as new fluid is introduced
- Complies with Indians DOT requirements for “red bag” disposal, and OSHA bloodborne pathogens standard for employee exposure1
Choosing a solidifier with treatment can help reduce costs in your facility.
Our Medi-Solid Plus™ Solidifier decontaminates waste as it gels, further reducing the risk of dangerous bloodborne pathogens.3 In all but eight states4, this disinfecting solidifier allows hospitals to dispose of full suction canisters in non-regulated white bag trash, which can dramatically decrease waste management costs.
The Association of periOperative Registered Nurses (AORN) acknowledges that the “use of solidifiers greatly reduces the risk of exposure to blood and contaminated bodily fluids.”2
Footnotes and references:
1 OSHA Bloodborne pathogens standard. https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=standards&p_id=10051. Accessed Mar 31, 2017.
2 Fogg, Dorothy M., RN, MA. “Clinical Issues: Terminal cleaning; regulated waste; sponge items; patient instructions; preoperative assessment; damaged packs; storage” AORN Journal, October 2000. http://www.aornjournal.org/article/S0001-2092(06)61241-6/fulltext
3 DiSorb Systems, SuperSolid PlusTM safety data sheet. http://www.disorb.com/en/sds/supersolid-plus.aspx. Accessed March 2, 2017.
4 Disorb liquid treatment solidifier state approval: The following states ARE NOT approved for nonregulated waste disposal after treatment: California, Las Vegas, Arizona, New Mexico, Ohio, Virginia, New York, New Jersey